As most of you are aware, the election for Bishop Coadjutor of our diocese was accomplished on July 18 at the synod in Orlando. Bishop Chad Jones, who has visited here a few times in the past, was the man elected. A bishop coadjutor is the man who will succeed the diocesan bishop upon his retirement. Congratulations to Bishop Chad and we look forward to his ministry to us in the years to come. Above is a picture of Bishop Chad and Bishop Grundorf, along with the other candidates, Father James Johnson and me.
Another exciting development coming out of synod this year is that we have been asked to host our diocesan and national synods next year. We have already begun the preparations for that and have selected the Hilton Hotel at Biltmore Park as the venue for the occasion. Tom Clyde, our Rector’s Warden, will be the coordinator for the synods. Hosting a synod is a lot of work and there will be various committees that will be formed, such as registration, transportation, food, hospitality, etc. So, get ready to roll up your sleeves and pitch in because we will not be able to pull this off without all of us working together. Thanks, in advance, to all of you who will be involved.
Now its time to catch up on the news here in the parish.
Men’s Night at the Ballgame
The guys are heading off to watch the Asheville Tourists play on Monday evening, August 5. The gate opens at 6:00 p.m. For those of you meeting us at the ballpark, I will be at the main gate at 6 p.m., with your tickets. For those wishing to carpool, meet at the church at 5:15 p.m. We will leave promptly at 5:30 p.m. Please wear your red All Saints T-shirts. We have men from three other area churches joining us and it looks like it will be 45 of us altogether! Since we have so many coming, and because traffic in Asheville stinks, keep my cell phone number with you--just in case! 828-620-0860.
Dealing With Sin In Others
Beginning this Sunday, August 4, Dss. Cynthia will lead a 4-week discussion aimed at equipping Christians on dealing with sin in family, friends, and others. Interested youth and adults will meet in the large classroom of Simcox Hall at 9:45 a.m., during the Sunday school hour. This class will conclude before adult Sunday school reconvenes on September 8.
Annual School Supply Drive
It is that time of year to begin our school supply drive. We encourage all of you to involve yourselves in the gathering of supplies for children and their families who cannot afford these basic necessities for the upcoming school year. Boxes are available into which to drop your donations. A purchasing guide is available at the bottom of this page. Need a shopper? Please see Sara Briggs or Sandy Peninger.
Meetings, Meetings, Meetings...And Food!
Mark your calendars now! On Saturday morning, August 17, there will be three important meetings. For the convenience of everyone, we have scheduled these meetings in one morning. But be of good cheer...Kathy Zwingert has offered to make brunch for us that morning!
Altar Guild will meet at 9:30 a.m.
Brunch will be served at 10:15 a.m.
Ladies of All Saints will meet at 10:30 a.m.
Craft Market Committee will meet at 11:15 a.m.
If you plan on eating brunch that morning, please R.S.V.P. by signing up on the bulletin board in the parish hall.
The Annual Deanery Picnic will be held on August 24 from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. at Mills River Park, located at 124 Town Center Dr., Mills River, NC. As you are making your plans to attend, please sign-up on the bulletin board to bring a picnic side dish. Hamburgers and hotdogs are provided.
Steve Miller’s Ordination
Steve will be ordained as a deacon on Saturday, October 19, at 11:00 a.m., at St. Matthew’s Church in Weaverville. We know this conflicts with our Annual Craft Market but I know Steve would love to see as many of you who are able to attend
The following day, Sunday, October 20, Bishop Grundorf will be with us for confirmations and receptions. Any of you who have come to us over the past couple of years and need to be confirmed or received, please put this date on your calendar. This may be Bp. Grundorf’s last “official” visitation to All Saints so we look forward to his being with us that day.
There are more announcements below and remember to keep on praying for each other and also for those for whom no one else will pray this day.
This Week in the Parish
Sunday, August 4, Seventh Sunday after Trinity
· 8:30 a.m., Holy Communion
· 11:00 a.m., Holy Communion
Monday, August 5
· 5:30 p.m., Men's Ballgame Night
Tuesday, August 6, Transfiguration
· 12:00 p.m., Holy Communion
Wednesday, August 7
· 6:00 p.m., Holy Communion
· 7:00 p.m., Choir Practice
Choir Members Needed
· The choir begins singing next Sunday, August 4. If you’ve been thinking about joining, now would be the perfect time. No audition necessary, just some music-reading ability. The first official rehearsal will be Wednesday, August 7. Speak to Brian or one of the members. We’d love to have you to join us!
Fellowship Lunches on Sunday
· Our Sunday fellowship lunches will be starting up again on Sunday, September 8. If you would like to join a lunch team, the sign-up sheet has been posted in the parish hall. Once you have a team together, please get with your group and pick two Sundays to provide our Sunday fellowship luncheon after the 11:00 a.m. worship.
Craft Market 2019
· It’s time once again to start preparing for our Annual Craft Market. The date for this year’s event is Saturday, October 19. If you are a crafter, artist, knitter, etc. we need you! Please see Kathy Zwingert and become a part of this year’s event. If you would like to buy a table to sell your goods, see Barbara Conner or Cynthia Hensley for a registration form.
· The latest edition of the Trinitarian newspaper is on the tables in the parish hall. While this newspaper is the official gazette of the Anglican Catholic Church, it is more and more becoming the newspaper of record for all of the traditional Anglican Churches we are in union with. Please read it to see what is happening in our country and throughout the world. We also encourage you to consider supporting this newspaper by subscribing for your own personal copy.
Wednesday Night Bible Study
· Our Wednesday night Bible study is taking the summer off. Reminder: We continue to celebrate Holy Communion each Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.
Adult Sunday School
· Our adult Sunday school will return on Sunday, September 8 at 9:45 a.m. in the parish hall.
· Bread of Life in Transylvania County is this month’s recipient of our in-gathering of food stuffs.
School Supply Guide
These are the “You Can’t Buy Enough” items
· 24-pack crayons (Crayola recommended)
· glue sticks
· package of colored pencils
· marbled composition notebooks
· spiral bound notebooks
· packs of notebook paper
· pack of large pink erasers
· pack of pencil top erasers
· pack of #2 pencils
· pocket folders
Other items needed
· pair of scissors (Fiskars recommended)
· pack of square sticky notes
· 1 inch View Binders (can slide paper in cover and spine)
· Binder dividers
· three-hole punched zippered pencil case
· standard pencil box (latched)
· small pencil sharpener (with cover to catch shavings)
· red pens
· hand sanitizer