This coming Sunday, November 19, we will hold our Annual Parish Meeting at 12:15 p.m., immediately following the 11:00 a.m. Holy Communion. All members of the parish should plan to attend. For our newer members, the Annual Parish Meeting is when we review the year just past, hearing reports from several officers and ministry leaders on what has been accomplished. We will look forward to the new year and what is possible for this family in Christ. We will do such things as elect new vestry members, ratify a budget, and select our representation to our Diocesan Synod. Once we put all of our “business” to bed, we will enjoy feasting and fellowship one with another at our Thanksgiving Dinner. The parish provides the turkey and ham for the dinner but you bring the rest. Just bring your favorite dish to share and we will “gobble” it up! See you Sunday.
News of Note
As you may be aware, Pete Pietrandrea had to be taken to the hospital from the church this past Tuesday. He was feeling very weak and dizzy. He eventually spent a couple of days at the VA and it seems that he had a problem with his diabetic medication. He is now at home, resting comfortably, and is in very good spirits.
News of Note #2
Many of you have asked about Peter and his progress at Navy Boot Camp. Kathy and I have received two letters from him, the most recent yesterday. We also received a phone call from him this past Sunday. He sounds very upbeat and spoke already of plans he has for “post boot camp.” A very good sign! It is hard to believe it has been over 4 weeks since he left and he only has 28 days to go. Graduation is scheduled for December 15. He is at the end of his 3rd week of training but he is in what is known as a “push” division, where the normal training routine of 8 weeks is compressed in order to graduate the recruits on time. Please continue to keep him in your prayers.
No Adult Sunday School
Because of our Annual Meeting & Thanksgiving Dinner, there will not be an Adult Sunday School class this Sunday. Class will pick up again the following week.
Please read on to your announcements below, especially to see the scheduling changes due to Thanksgiving Day coming up next week. I will see you all on Sunday.
· We will celebrate the Holy Communion on Thanksgiving Day, this coming Thursday, November 23, at 10:00 a.m. We will sing a few hymns, worship our Lord, and be on our way to Thanksgiving feasting in 45 minutes. Be sure to set aside time to be here that morning. Since Thanksgiving Day is actually about how Almighty God has blessed us in this nation, is there any better way to start the day than in church? For those who cannot make it Thursday morning, we will celebrate the Thanksgiving Day Holy Communion the day before, on Wednesday night, at our usual time of 6:00 p.m.
Tuesday Book Study
· C.S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters is our study book. It is very easy to jump in at any time. Join us! Class starts at 11:00 a.m. Please read Letters 13-15 for this week.
No Wednesday Night Bible Study & Fellowship Dinner
· No class or dinner this week.
Choir will practice
· Our choir will practice this Wednesday evening, in preparation for Advent Lessons & Carols.
Advent Lessons & Carols
· The All Saints Choir proudly presents its annual Advent Festival of Lessons and Carols next Sunday, December 3, at 5:00 p.m. This special service was started in 1918 at King’s College Chapel in Cambridge, England and it is a re-telling of the story of our redemption—from prophecy to fulfillment—through Holy Scripture and music.
St. Nicholas Party
· Don’t forget that our annual St. Nicholas Party always follows right after Advent Lessons & Carols. We have it on good authority that jolly old St. Nick will make it this year to fill up those shoes just like he does every year. Don’t miss your chance to perhaps spy on him as he goes about his work!
Madrigal Dinner by Home School Choir
· The Blue Ridge Home School Choir will host a Madrigal Dinner here December 8 & 9 at 6:30 p.m. There will also be a matinee performance on Sunday, December 10 at 1:00 p.m. Tickets are $25, which includes a full meal. Please see Anjie Grady for tickets and additional details.
· The date for our Annual Women’s Advent Luncheon this year is Saturday, December 9 at 1:00 p.m. Sally Blackburn has offered her home to host this catered event. The cost is $10.00 for the lunch. You may give your money to Cynthia Hensley. A sign-up sheet is on the bulletin board. Please R.S.V.P. today. Detailed directions to Sally’s house will be sent via email to those who R.S.V.P.
Men’s Brats & Beer
· During the women’s Advent Luncheon on December 9, the men will gather at Doug Hensley’s house for their Annual Beer and Brats event, starting at 1:00 p.m. Let Doug know if you plan on attending.
· Bread of Life in Transylvania County is this month’s recipient of our in-gathering of food stuffs.
This Week in the Parish
Sunday, November 19, Twenty-third Sunday after Trinity
· 8:30 a.m., Holy Communion
· 9:45 a.m., Children's Sunday School
· 11:00 a.m., Holy Communion
· 12:15 p.m., Annual Meeting
· 1:00 p.m., Thanksgiving Dinner
Tuesday, November 21
· 11:00 a.m., Book Study
Wednesday, November 22, Thanksgiving Eve
· 6:00 p.m., Holy Communion
· 7:00 p.m., Choir Practice
Thursday, November 23, Thanksgiving Day
· 10:00 a.m., Holy Communion
In the Weeks Ahead
Saturday, December 2
· 9:00 a.m., Saints Evergreens pickup begins
Sunday, December 3, First Sunday in Advent
· 5:00 p.m., Advent Lessons & Carols
Friday, December 9
· 6:30 p.m., Madrigal Dinner by Home School Choir
Saturday, December 9
· 1:00 p.m., Ladies Advent Luncheon
· 1:00 p.m., Men's Brats & Beer
· 6:30 p.m., Madrigal Dinner by Home School Choir
Sunday, December 10
· 1:00 p.m., Madrigal Dinner by Home School Choir