We have a big day tomorrow, November 5, here at All Saints Church. We will be hosting Bishop Chad Jones, the Suffragan Bishop in our Diocese. For those of you that don’t know what “Suffragan” means, it is a fancy, church way of saying “assistant.” Bishop Chad will be confirming and receiving all of our new members who have come to us in the past year. He will preach at the 8:30 a.m. Holy Communion and will then celebrate and preach at the 10:00 a.m. Holy Communion, when we will have the confirmations and receptions. Bishop Chad and I have been friends for 20 years. He is a delight to get to know and he is a very eloquent teacher and preacher. Please be sure to be here.
He will also be at our Adult Sunday School class. He will discuss the recent Anglican Province mission trip to Ecuador, in which he took part. He will let us know about our newest sister church in that country and give us his impressions of what this means for them and for us, as our traditional Anglican Way of Christianity expands globally.
All Saints Day
As All Saints Day is our patronal festival, we will celebrate it tomorrow, November 5, during Bp. Chad’s visit. In thanksgiving for the fact that God has “knit together thine elect in one communion and fellowship,” we will remember at the altar those who have gone before us, marked with the sign of faith. Just as Scripture assures us that they pray for us, so we too will pray for them, that God may grant them “continual growth” in his love and service. There will be sheet at the back of the church to write names (first names only please) of those faithful departed who are near and dear to you.
Annual Stewardship Campaign
The last letter in our campaign went out this past Thursday. You may mail the stewardship card back to the church or just drop it in the offering plate. Please respond. It is only with your help and commitment that we can be about the Gospel work here at All Saints.
I hope all of you will be in church tomorrow to welcome Bishop Chad and to support our newest members as they are incorporated into the larger fellowship of our Diocese and national Church. Pray that Almighty God may give us all the grace, strength, and joy to worship him together and to live His Gospel each and every moment of our lives.
Annual Parish Meeting & Thanksgiving Dinner
· Our annual Parish Meeting is just 2 weeks away on November 19. The meeting begins at 12:15 p.m. right after the 11 o’clock Holy Communion...and dinner begins right after that! Be sure to be here on that day.
Ladies Advent Luncheon
· The date for our Annual Women’s Advent Luncheon this year is Saturday, December 9 at 1:00 p.m. Sally Blackburn has offered her home to host this catered event. The cost is $10.00 for the lunch. A sign-up sheet is on the bulletin board. Please R.S.V.P. tomorrow.
The Saints Evergreens
· Our Saints Evergreens fundraiser is wrapping up this weekend. Please turn in your order forms to Doug Hensley.
· Bread of Life in Transylvania County is this month’s recipient of our in-gathering of food stuffs.
Special Fellowship Lunch next week
· Next Sunday, November 12, in honor of Edwin Blackburn’s 90th birthday, the Blackburn family will be providing lunch. All of us here at All Saints are Edwin’s extended family, so please be sure to stay next Sunday to celebrate Edwin’s special day.
College Care Packages
· We need one person to sign up and send a care package to Ethan in April. Do it now! The sign-up sheet is on the Youth bulletin board in the parish hall.
Tuesday Book Study
· C.S. Lewis’ The Screwtape Letters is our study book. It is very easy to jump in at any time. Join us! Class starts at 11:00 a.m. Please read Letters 10-12 for this week.
Wednesday Night Bible Study
· We are studying St. Paul’s Letter to the Romans. We are in the forth chapter of the book. Join us Wednesday evening at 7:00 p.m.